Please reload

Recent Posts

Studying in Canada can help with your application for PR

January 21, 2017

If you are like many people who want to immigrate to Canada, it’s no secret that in the absence of valid job offer with an LMIA, previous work experience in Canada, and previous study in Canada, the Express Entry System can be very frustrating under the Federal Skilled Worker or Federal Skilled Trades programs, and getting an invitation to apply is unlikely.


Many skilled people opt to study in Canada and then apply for permanent residence under Canadian Experience Class, and many people opt to study in Ontario which requires 2 consecutive years of study in the same program in order to obtain much needed  points for Express Entry. Studying in Canada for 2 years can cost an international student in the region of $30,000 or more for tuition alone.


If you are considering applying for PR from outside Canada and don’t have a valid job offer you would have to have to prove that you have these funds:


# of Family Members                                    Funds Required  (in Canadian dollars)

1                                                                      $12,164

2                                                                      $15,143

3                                                                      $18,617

4                                                                      $22,603

5                                                                      $25,636

6                                                                      $28,913

7 or more                                                      $32,191


Some strategic planning and a willingness to study in a province other than Ontario may be a good option to get your foot in the door.


For example, the Alberta Provincial Nominee Post Graduate Worker Program has the following requirements:


  • Occupations In NOC 0, A ,B & C are eligible

  • Graduate from a 1 year full time eligible post - secondary degree/diploma program in Alberta

  • Must be working full time for an Alberta Employer on a Post Graduate Work Permit at the time of application.


Why may this be a viable option?


  • You  have to study in Alberta for one year, tuition costs approx. CAD $15,000 to $18,000

  • You have to prove funds of  CAD $10,000 (if you are single)additional $4,000 for your spouse and $3,000 for each dependent

  • You can work while studying

  • If you are married or common law, your spouse can accompany you and he/she will get a work permit

  • If you were applying under Federal Skilled Worker/ Express Entry you would have to prove funds anyway


A Provincial Nomination will get you 600 points for Express Entry and makes getting an invitation to apply for permanent residence highly likely.


At Marmac Immigration Services we can help you from selecting a college/university, the immigration process or both. Call us at 647-466-7608 or email for more information on studying in Canada and Provincial Nominee Programs.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Follow Us
Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

280 Morningside Ave

Toronto ON, M1E3E8